Hiking to Quandary Peak in the Snow

Hiking to Quandary Peak in the Snow

In this Finale video, we tackle Quandary Peak a 14,265-foot mountain top near the town of Breckenridge, Colorado. We started the day out on sunshiny autumn day and ended the hike in some crazy snowstorm.

Although this hike is a shorter hike it still packs a hard punch. Along our journey up the mountain, we saw a couple families of Mountain Goats, I thought it was pretty cool to see.

This relatively easy hike is a straightforward route with no real dangers. However, Quandary Peak is still considered to be the most dangerous mountain in Colorado, according to Mark Scott-Nash, the author of "Colorado 14er Disasters". Quandary Peak has one of the highest accident rates for any 14er in Colorado, which is likely the result of its popularity, easy year-round access, and its variety of routes to the summit. Many of those who get in trouble on this mountain are likely underrating the risks associated with climbing it.

I'm not going to lie, that last stretch to the summit was a hard one for us especially since we were above 13,000 feet. We took short breaks as needed and drank water and electrolytes as needed.
We didn't use any oxygen assist.

The clouds began to move in on us as we were on the last leg before the summit. this hindered our views 100%. By the time we reached the summit, it was a complete whiteout with zero views, You can see this in the thumbnail photo.

Yes, I did get a little emotional when we reached the summit. I cried like a little baby and ya know what, it was worth it. I am so proud of Lindsey and I for reaching this summit. There was also a memorial up there for some fallen military men and women.

It began to snow harder and visibility got worse, I'm thankful for the rock cairns that are up there as they helped guide us and keep us on the path. We knew of one pretty serious drop off so we stayed alert during these sections of trail the snow really never did let off and it ended up snowing on us the entire trip back down the mountain.

After the hike, we drove into Breckenridge for the most amazing slow-cooked roast beef sandwich fried and the best tasting local IPA I've ever had.

I hope ya'll enjoy this finale video of my Colorado Series and please Subscribe if you haven't already.

Thanks for watching

-Johnny


SUBSCRIBE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgpUSAEkDEARff6V-7sCNIw?sub_confirmation=1

Lets Connect!

- https://www.instagram.com/johnnyonthetrail
- https://www.facebook.com/JohnnyontheTrail
- johnnyonthetrail@gmail.com

Johnny on the Trail
1471 West Millers Cove Road
Walland, TN 37886

#QuandaryPeak #14er #JohnnyontheTrail


MY HIKING & BACKPACKING VLOGGING CHANNEL
- https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnnyontheTrail

I want to thank everyone who has supported this channel. I'm
grateful that you choose to support me with your viewership and
time. I hope that I'm giving my audience exactly what they want to see.
with a promise of no clickbait or misleading thumbnails.
I am open to suggestions for content so drop me a comment and let me know what you are interested in seeing. I will be traveling more this year so
expect to see some new hiking/backpacking locations other than the Smokies.

*******************************
Camera: GoPro Hero
Gimble: DJI Osmo II
Video editing: Filmora

johnny on the trailquandary peak west ridgequandary peak hike

Post a Comment

0 Comments